Anything Goes is a song interpreted by Ethel Merman written and composed by Cole Porter in 1934 , extracted from the musical of the same name . This piece gives rise over the decades to many times and inspires many titles of original creations 1 .
In the mid-1950s, Frank Sinatra took it back and included it in his album Songs for Swingin ‘Lovers! . Almost simultaneously, a version appears in the album Chris Connor (en) of the eponymous singer . A few months later, it is Ella Fitzgerald who makes a cover for his album (in) of 1956; she will make another version sixteen years later. Stan Getz and Gerry Mulligan make the track an instrumental version in 1957. Tony Bennett records a resumption of the song two years later with the Count Basie Orchestra .
The following decade, the Dave Brubeck Quartet takes back the title that then lends its name to the record Anything Goes! The Dave Brubeck Quartet Cole Porter Plays . The title was released as a single in 1967 in its version by Harpers Bizarre (en) 2 .
Anything Goes is taken over by American artists Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett 3 . This is the first official single released July 29, 2014 from their joint album Cheek to Cheek of September 2014 and it gives rise to a clip 4 . The single was ranked 178 th in August 2014 in France.
The title is also recorded by
- John Barrowman
- Kate Capshaw in the Indiana Jones movie and the Cursed Temple (in Mandarin )
- Sutton Foster and Company
- Susannah McCorkle
- Melanie C
- Lindsay Pearce
Notes and references
- ( In ) This article is partially or entirely from the article in English entitled ” Anything Goes (Cole Porter song) ” ( see the list of authors ) .
- ↑ ( in ) ” Anything Goes ” [ archive ] , on allmusic.com , All Music (accessed August 30, 2014 )
- ↑ Joel Whitburn, Top Adult Contemporary: 1961-2001 , Record Research,, p. 111
- ↑ http://www.chartsinfrance.net/Lady-GaGa/news-93030.html [ archive ]
- ↑ http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/30/lady-gaga-tony-bennett-album-duo-anything-goes-cole-porter_n_5632945.html?utm_hp_ref=france&ir=France [ archive ]