Get Me to the Church on Time is a song composed by Frederick Loewe , on lyrics by Alan Jay Lerner for the 1956 musical My Fair Lady , where it was premiered by Stanley Holloway .
She is sung by the cockney character of Alfred P. Doolittle, scavenger and father of the main character Eliza Doolittle (in) who received a surprise legacy of four thousand pounds a year from a US billionaire, who raises him in the middle class 1 . That’s why he feels compelled to marry Eliza’s “mother-in-law,” with whom he ” lives in sin ” for years. Doolittle buries his boy life and the song is a call to his friends not to let his drunkenness make him forget his good intentions and see to it that he arrives at the church on hour 2 .
Get Me to the Church on Time was sampled in the song The Morning by rappers Raekwon , Pusha T , Common , 2 Chainz , Cyhi the Prynce , Kid Cudi and D’banj (in) their 2012 album Cruel Summer at GOOD Music .
- André Previn and Shelly Manne : My Fair Lady (in) (1956)
- Andy Williams : Andy Williams Rodgers Sings and Hammerstein (1959)
- Rosemary Clooney : Rosie Solves the Swingin ‘Riddle! (1961)
- Stanley Holloway : My Fair Lady (1964)
- Frank Sinatra : Sinatra at the Sands (en) (1966)
- Mel Tormé : Mel Tormé and the Marty Paich Dektette – Reunion (en) (1988)
- June Christy : Through the Years (1995)
Notes and references
- ↑ ( in ) ” Get Me To The Church On Time by Stanley Holloway Songfacts ” [ archive ] , on Songfacts (accessed 27 January 2014 )
- ↑ ( in ) Alan Jay Lerner , My Fair Lady: Musical play has two acts in New York, Coward-McCann,, 186 p. ( OCLC 478874 , LCCN 56011519 )