I Will Survive (“I will survive”) is a disco songwritten by Freddie Perren and Dino Fekaris, released in 1978 , performed by Gloria Gaynor .
The song is from the point of view of a woman who has just been left, who announces to her ex-partner that she can do without him, and does not wish to be in touch with him again. The song is also frequently remembered as a symbol of female emancipation and as a gay anthem 1 , 2 , like the Me and Mrs. Jones by Billy Paul 3 . She is also famous for having been taken over by the Hermes House Band and for becoming the anthem of the French Football Team during her victory at the 1998 World Cup .
Title to have inspired Freddie Perren and Dino Fekaris
The music of the credits of the film Last known residence of José Giovanni released in 1970, made by François de Roubaix , strangely resembles the song of Gloria Gaynor .
Unless otherwise stated or supplemented, the information mentioned in this section comes from the IMDb database .Unless otherwise indicated or supplemented, the information mentioned in this section comes from thecreditsof the audiovisual work presented here.The song appears on the soundtrack of many movies, including in (remixedversion).
- Moons of Gall (1992)
- Priscilla, crazy about the desert (1994)
- Butterfly Kiss (1995)
- Beyond silence (1996)
- In & Out (1997)
- Eyes in the Blues (1998)
- Those who love me will take the train (1998)
- Remember … last summer 2 (1998) (played by Jennifer Love Hewitt )
- Replacements (2000)
- The man and more (2001)
- My Wife Is a Gangster 2 (2003)
- All to please (2005)
- Gray Matters (2006)
- Not his kind (2014) Lucas Belvaux
- Alone on Mars (2015)
The song was taken many times:
- pop rock version by Cake band
- jazz / swing version by The Puppini Sisters or by Petra Magoni (album Musica Nuda , 2004)
- R & B version by Chantay Savage
- salsa version by Celia Cruz under the title Yo viviré (survived)
- punk version by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes or Snuff
- techno version (melody of the chorus on Anthem # 1 from Floorfilla
The title Supreme of Robbie Williams partially takes over the instrumentation of the violins of I Will Survive, but also the music of the film Last Known Home composed by François De Roubaix whose title I Will Survive is largely inspired. Similarly, in 1991 , the British band Erasure took this musical phrase as part of a song otherwise completely different: Love To Hate You .
There is a cover in French under the title Je survivrai
- by Régine (number 1 of the top 50 for 11 weeks)
- by Michèle Richard in 1979
- by Larusso
as well as under the heading Nothing goes by Sabrina Lory ,
In 1997 , taken over by the group Hermes House Band , it became the anthem of the French Stadium , then that of the French football team at the 1998 Football World Cup . And later, the song becomes a symbol of the victory of the team during the final, often reused by the nostalgic of this time.
In 2003 , during the tribute concert to Celia Cruz (the queen of salsa ) ¡Azúcar! , Gloria Gaynor performed in English and she was performed in Spanish by Celia Cruz accompanied by twenty artists: Albita , Alicia Villareal , Ana Gabriel , Arturo Sandoval , Gilberto Santa Rosa , Gloria Estefan , Gloria Gaynor , Johnny Pacheco , Jose Alberto “El Canario”, Jose Feliciano , Los Tri-O, Luis Enrique , Marc Anthony ,Milly Quezada , Perfecto Mickey, Olga Tañón, Patti Labelle , Rosario, Paulina Rubio , Tito Nieves , Víctor Manual .
In 2009 , the Pussycat Dolls take a piece of the song in their title Hush Hush .
Glee takes this song in a mashup with Survivor of Destiny’s Child in the 8 th episode of the 3 th season.
In 2014 , in the film Pas son genre , Jennifer ( Emilie Dequenne ), sings in public this song at the end of the film. She summarizes her state of mind of the moment, namely that she decided to turn the page of a relationship that leads nowhere, because the man who claimed to hold to it, does not assume this relationship to his entourage who is from another social class .
In 1999, a humorous 3D animation called Alien Song (she represents Blit Wizbok, a small green extraterrestrial man with only one eye, who dances on I Will Survive ) has had a lot of success on the Internet.
Javier Prato has posted the Jesus Will Survive video on the website jesuswillsurvive.com . The first ten seconds of the video represent the Jesus Christ logo , the musical . Then Jesus, before a setting sun, begins to sing. From 32 seconds, he removes his white coat and starts dancing on Hollywood Boulevard . It also crosses a cosplay of Shrek to 40 seconds. But at 50 seconds, a bus toppled him as he shouted I Will Survive! (“I will Survive”). At 58 seconds appears a table In loving Memory: Jesus Christ (Miguel Mas)and credits. Universal Music has filed a lawsuit against this parody, an action illustrating the tensions between creativity and intellectual property 4 , 5 .
Fatsah from the Jamel Comedy Club made a parody of it in one of his sketches.
On May 4, 2012, on the program On n’demande que à la rire , the Kicékafessa made a parody of the song during their 37 th stint, “La finale de super grandie”.
Igudesman and Joo also makes a mockery violin in his show 6 .
I Will Survive was initially in side B of the 45s published by Polydor in 1978. A side featured a song called Substitute , who had been regarded as more appropriate to go into radio . But radio programmers inversèrent this choice, and were followed by the public, causing the record company to reverse the order of the faces 7 .
|Germany ( Media Control AG ) 8||7|
|Australia ( Kent Music Report ) 9||5|
|Austria ( Ö3 Austria Top 40 ) 10||17|
|Canada ( RPM Adult Contemporary ) 11||1|
|Canada ( RPM Disco Singles ) 12||2|
|Canada ( RPM Top 15 12inch ) 13||5|
|Canada ( RPM Top Singles ) 14||3|
|United States (Hot 100) 15||1|
|France ( FIFG ) 16||6|
|United Kingdom (UK Singles Chart) 17||1|
|Switzerland ( Schweizer Hitparade ) 18||7|
Songs with the same title
Different songs carry the same title. Among these, the songs of Enrique Iglesias (on the album Escape in 2001) and Ace of Base and also the album “near my tree” which was a great success.
Notes and references
- This article is partially or entirely from the article entitled “Jesus Christ: The Musical” ( see the list of authors on the article’s discussion page ) .
- ↑ Elizabeth Kaminski and Verta Taylor. “We’re Not Just Lip-synching Here: Music and Collective Identity in Drag Performance” [ archive ] . Identity Work in Social Movements, p. 58 . Accessed 26-04-2009.
- ↑ Nadine Hubbs. “‘I Will Survive’: musical mappings of queer social space in a disco anthem” [ archive ] . Popular Music, 26, pp. 231-244 . Last accessed on 26-04-2009.
- ↑ The soul singer [ archive ] Billy Paul died at the age of 80
- ↑ ( in ) ” ” Jesus Christ: The Musical “Gets New Life ” [ archive ] , on the site cyberlaw.stanford.edu
- ↑ ( in ) ” Lessig, Google, Obama, and Jesus: a mash-up net neutrality “ [ archive ] , on arstechnica.com ,
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wBBlwCTqmc [ archive ]
- ↑ ( in ) ” I Will Survive ” [ archive ] , Songfacts.com (accessedApril 13, 2009 )
- ↑ ( de ) Musicline.de – Gloria Gaynor [ archive ] . GfK Entertainment . PhonoNet GmbH. Accessed February 26, 2017.
- ↑ ( in ) Billboard 12 May 1979 , Nielsen Business Media, Inc., ( ISSN 0006-2510 , read online [ archive ] )
- ↑ ( de ) Austrian-charts.com – Gloria Gaynor – I Will Survive [ archive ] . Ö3 Austria Top 40 . Hung Medien. Accessed February 26, 2017.
- ↑ ( in ) ” I will survive in Canadian Adult Contemporary Chart ” [ archive ], Library and Archives Canada (accessed 15 June 2013 )
- ↑ ( in ) ” I will survive in Canadian Singles Chart Disco ” [ archive ] , Library and Archives Canada (accessed 15 June 2013 )
- ↑ ( in ) ” I will survive in Canadian Top 15 Chart 12inch ” [ archive ] , Library and Archives Canada (accessed 15 June 2013 )
- ↑ ( in ) ” I will survive in Canadian Singles Chart Top ” [ archive ] , Library and Archives Canada (accessed 15 June 2013 )
- ↑ ( in ) Gloria Gaynor – Chart history – Billboard [ archive ] . Billboard Hot 100 . Prometheus Global Media . Accessed February 26, 2017.
- ↑ Top France, click on the tabs “1979” and the date of “21/04/1979” [ archive ]
- ↑ ( in ) Archive Chart [ archive ] . UK Singles Chart . The Official Charts Company . Accessed February 26, 2017.
- ↑ ( in ) Swisscharts.com – Gloria Gaynor – I Will Survive [ archive ] . Schweizer Hitparade . Hung Medien. Accessed February 26, 2017.